About Getting to the Abbey
Sravasti Abbey is located in rural Newport, Washington in the northeast corner of the state. The closest airport is Spokane International (GEG), a 1-hour drive away. We are a 7-hour drive east of Seattle.
The important details below will help you get to the Spokane area, then to Newport, and then to the Abbey.
How do you plan to travel?
Flying into Spokane Airport (GEG)
Here are three helpful options for getting to Sravasti Abbey from the Spokane Airport (GEG).
- Low Cost Shuttle (recommended)
You can take a low cost shuttle from Spokane Airport. Note it is only available 3 days a week: Mon, Wed, Fri — and only operates twice a day. The last pick up is at 1:45 pm so be sure to book your flight to arrive before 1 pm.
Low Cost Shuttle Schedule: Mon, Wed, Fri only
(not available Tue, Thurs, Sat, Sun or federal holidays)
Price: $5.00 each way (cash only)
Booking: Call 24 hours a head to reserve a seat: 877-264-RIDE, (509) 534-7171
Departs Arrives Spokane Airport: Newport: 6:15 am 8:00 am 1:45 pm 3:30-3:45 pm
- Book your flight to Spokane Airport to arrive by 1:00 pm to catch the last shuttle. If you can’t arrive by 1 pm, you can stay in Spokane overnight and take the early morning shuttle the next day.
- Reserve your seat 24 hours in advance and request pick-up specifically at the airport. Visit the Special Mobility Services website for route details.
- Email our office in advance with your date and time of arrival in Newport. We’ll pick you up from the Newport Safeway shuttle stop.
Departs Arrives Newport: Spokane Airport: 8:30am 10:15am 4:30pm 5:45pm
- You can return to Spokane by shuttle, leaving from Newport at 8:30 am or 4:30 pm. Let our office know your return details so we can arrange for your ride to Newport.
- Plan to fly out of Spokane Airport after 12 pm on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. The 8:30 am shuttle arrives at the Spokane airport between 10 and 11 am. You can also take the 4:30 pm shuttle and stay in Spokane overnight for a flight the next morning. Please do not to ask Sravasti Abbey residents, volunteers, friends, or neighbors for rides or housing.
- Taxi / Uber / Car Rental
You can take a taxi from the airport, but expect to pay at least $160 in fare one-way, plus tip. Uber and Lyft are also available at Spokane airport; prices vary. You can also rent a car from agencies at the airport. See the “Driving to the Abbey” section below or contact our office to get driving directions.
Driving to the Abbey
You can drive and park your car here at the Abbey. The address is 692 Country Lane, Newport, WA 99156.
Interstate-90 is the main east-west route through Spokane. From Spokane and Sandpoint use US Highway 2. From Coeur d’Alene take Idaho 41.
Because we are in a rural area, you will probably lose the GPS signal along the way to the Abbey. Be sure to print out driving directions (try Google Maps or Map Quest) before you come. Email our office if you need directions.
Snow Info – Oct to Apr
Snow can come anywhere between October to April. Check weather conditions in general, and track travel and weather conditions in these states: Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon as needed. Also check local travel advisories on roads near the Abbey. Our zip code is 99156.
Please drive carefully. Deer, turkey, and other wild creatures often wander onto the roads. Look out for our turtle crossing sign!
Train to Spokane
Amtrak’s Empire Builder runs through Spokane on a route from Chicago to Seattle or Portland, OR. You’ll arrive at the Spokane train station downtown. From there, you can coordinate the Low Cost Shuttle ($5 and available Mon, Wed, and Fri). You could also opt to take a cab/Uber (prices vary). See more shuttle information in the Flying section of this page.
Greyhound serves Spokane from several routes. The bus station is downtown. From there you can take Low Cost Shuttle ($5 and available Mon, Wed, and Fri). See the Flying section on this page for specifics.
Once you arrive at Sravasti Abbey, you can check in at Chenrezig Hall. It is the first large building you’ll see, with 6 prayer wheels at the entrance. If you are driving, you can park in front of Chenerzig Hall to check in and unload your vehicle. We’ll direct you to the parking area from there.
Other Visiting Resources
A must read before visiting
Helpful answers to questions everyone asks